Birds have sensitive respiratory systems. In the old, long gone days, miners would take canaries into mines
to protect them from dangerous gases. When the canary died, the miners knew they needed to leave pretty soon, as gas was
present in the mine.
So it should be no surprise that there are many fumes in your home that are toxic to birds. This means
you may have to make a few changes in your house to accomodate your little friend.
Teflon is extremely lethal to birds. Teflon is actually PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), which is anything
non-stick. Non-stick baking pans, cookie sheets... some newer ovens even have a non-stick baking surface. If you have
any of these items, don't use them. If they get hot enough, they will give off a chemical that will kill your bird very quickly.
If your oven is non-stick, then either 1) get a new oven or 2) give your bird to someone without a non-stick oven. I recently
read a story about a very loving bird mom, whose mother-in-law gave her a new oven as a present. She didn't think to check
if it was non-stick, and all of her birds died within minutes of heating the oven.
Besides the obvious, I'm talking about cigarette smoke. It is toxic to birds, if you want to kill them off, that's a
pretty efficient way of doing it. If you absolutely must smoke, then you need to smoke away from your bird (preferably outside) and make sure you wash your hands and any other part of you your bird nibbles before handling it. If you think
nicotine is bad for humans, it's TERRIBLE for birds!
These should not be used in the same room as your bird. Glade plug-ins have reportedly caused nerve damage
when used, and CarpetFresh room deodorizer has been known to be lethal to birds.
Paint, thinners, etc
Just like you wouldn't allow your kids to sniff this stuff, keep it away from birds. If you're painting a room, birds need to be moved as far as possible from that room, into a well ventilated area. When you can no longer smell the paint
in the room, wait several more days and then move your birds back.
You may be noticing a trend of items that say specifically on the label to use "in a well ventilated area" in this listing. You're probably catching on that if it's bad for people, it's really bad for birds! This includes all your cleaning
things. Bleach (very toxic), comet, windex, etc. Keep them away from birds. Don't let your bird hang out on your shoulder while you're cleaning.